Tuesday, May 29, 2012

For Your Tomorrow

I just finished reading a book, a true story, that was the most heart warming, heart wrenching, and touching thing ever.I have to talk about it. It was titled, as the blog is titled, For Your Tomorrow by Melanie Murray.

 

She tells the story of her nephew who was killed while on tour in Afghanistan. She tells us the story of his life from birth to death, from his struggles with discovering how he was meant to live his life, to finally getting it all together and juggling a new life with being on tour.

 

When you look at Melanie Murray’s picture on the back cover of the book, you’ll almost have a hard time believing that the woman could have written such a heart warming story. She looks unbelievably cold, but her words are so moving, warm, and touching. I actually had to read the book in little sections, because some of the things she talks about touched my heart so deeply, especially knowing the ultimate outcome.

 

I have two friends who are in the army, so this story is close to my heart as it is. Reading this book was a reminder to me to not take for granted what our soldiers do overseas. They don’t just go overseas to kill people, they have a far greater purpose than that. Her nephew described it in the book as a humanitarian effort, and for some people I think that word would be debatable, but I believe that many of the soldiers in their hearts feel this way, and that’s why they do what they do.

 

Since meeting and becoming friends with someone in the Armed Forces, I’ve tried to not take for granted what exactly soldiers do, and the risk they take. Even before meeting my two friends, Remembrance Day has always been a solemn one for me, I’ve always felt the weight of loss on my shoulders. Maybe it’s because my Opa fought in the war, maybe it’s because we’re constantly reminded of its significance the week of Remembrance day through the radio, TV, or all the poppies you can see being worn, but I can always remember it being a heavy day. Even though I’ve never been to a service. This causes an argument every day between me and one of those two friends, but I constantly remind him that just because I don’t go, it doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate what the men and women are doing. I just don’t go. It weighs on my mind all day. I can’t imagine standing among the people, feeling the atmosphere of the people there.. I can imagine it would be hard. Maybe I’ll go this year.

 

I would recommend this book to anyone, but I’d especially recommend it to those who either don’t know anyone in the Armed Forces, have never had family in the army/navy etc, or don’t necessarily agree with what happened in Afghanistan, or what happens in any war. Remember that there are those in the army who do have hearts, who do feel, and have a bigger reason for doing what they do that to kill. These people who risk their lives aren’t the only ones losing a life. They have people who potentially lose a father, mother, son, friend..well, you get the idea. Put everything else aside, and remember those people who join the army with a bigger picture in mind, and remember that they’re doing something that you’re not willing to do, and it’s a huge risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment